Quality of Life
With a combined population of over 225,000, the Fox Cities are one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in Wisconsin and yet offer the tranquility of small-town America and easy access to recreational surroundings. The Fox Cities have consistently been named one of the best areas in the nation based on quality of life indicators.
The Fox Valley Family Medicine Residency Program is located in Appleton, the center of the Fox Cities, with a population of over 70,000. By car, Appleton is 30 minutes south of Green Bay, two hours from Milwaukee and Madison, three and one-half hours from Chicago, and five hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul. The Appleton International Airport (ATW) is five miles from campus and is served by United, Delta, and Allegiant Air airlines, having direct flights to major hubs - Milwaukee, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Orlando, and Phoenix-Mesa.
The Fox Cities are a cluster of 18 communities in Outagamie County located near the Fox River in east-central Wisconsin including the cities of Appleton, Kaukauna, Menasha and Neenah; the towns of Buchanan, Clayton, Grand Chute, Greenville, Harrison, Kaukauna, Menasha, Neenah and the villages of Combined Locks, Hortonville, Kimberly, Little Chute and Sherwood.
The Fox Cities have consistently received national recognition as one of the most inviting places to live, work, and raise a family, including the following:
- Appleton was ranked #1 in National Home Sales to Millennials by Realtor.com.
- SmartAsset.com ranked Appleton #2 for Best Places for Children. The Midwest provides families with a valuable mix of affordable housing, young populations and great schools.
- SAP located in Appleton was listed for Wisconsin among the 50 states of restaurants that are great for kids by FoodNetwork.com.
- Insurify.com named Appleton among Wisconsin’s Top 5 Greenest Cities. This award recognizes the cities with the lowest average household carbon footprint.
- Appleton was among Money.com’s Top 10 Best Places to Live for Singles based on economic health, public safety, and diversity.
- Travel.alot.com named Appleton, WI among The 30 Best Small Cities in The United States, listing Appleton as a quaint, clean small town boasting notable restaurants, coffee shops and downtown shopping.
- The History Museum at the Castle located in Appleton was listed Best Museum in Wisconsin by msn.com in 2018.
- Appleton is among The 30 Best Cities for Older Americans by MSN.com/24/7 Wall Street.
- Fitbit ranked Appleton #2 as one of the Fittest Cities in America. The title of overall Fittest City in America is based on average rates for duration of sleep, Reminders to Move goals met, daily steps, daily active minutes, and resting heart rate.
- USA Today Network – Wisconsin named Neenah among 10 WI towns that are totally Americana. It has picture-perfect parks, a lovely downtown district and even a historic Octagon House.